Sometimes traumatic experiences create emotions that are unbearable. Some sample exercises include the acronyms STOP and TIPP:
- Stop what you're doing and physically pause in place.
- Take a moment to breathe and gather your bearings.
- Observe your surroundings and point out items in the room objectively.
- Proceed mindfully and become aware of every sensation you feel.
- Temperature shift (sudden cold water or stepping outside in autumn/winter weather, never use heat)
- Intense exercise (burn it off via a 10-minute jog or other cardio routines like pilates or boxing)
- Paced breathing (4-7-8 is recommended)
- Paired muscle relaxation (clench both fists, hold and relax them, repeat for various muscles)
- Note: Do not overwork your muscles, and if you have spasms, do not participate in this exercise.
Crisis hotlines can be found on the home page.